top of page

What is Covered by the Party Wall Act?

People often wonder what the Party Wall Act covers.

Here we provide a helpful list.

  • cutting into a wall to take the bearing of a beam, for example for a loft conversion

  • inserting a damp proof course, even if only to your own side of a party wall

  • raising a party wall and, if necessary, cutting off any objects preventing this from happening

  • demolishing and rebuilding a party wall

  • underpinning a party wall or part of a party wall

  • weathering the junction of adjoining walls or buildings by cutting a flashing into an adjoining building

  • excavating foundations within three metres of a neighbour’s structure and lower than its foundations

  • excavating foundations within six metres of a neighbour’s structure and below a line drawn down at 45° from the bottom of its foundations.

  • building a new wall on the line of junction (boundary) between two properties.

If you are planning to do any of the above works, you probably need to serve a party wall notice on your neighbour. You can do this yourself, there are templates available on the Internet. However, it's often good to get a specialist to do it for you as they know the wording that should be used to make sure there are no delays because of notices not being valid.

Here at Bluegrass Surveying we will serve a notice for you for £50 per neighbour.

24 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Planning a Loft Conversion: A Comprehensive Guide

Planning a loft conversion can be an exciting and rewarding endeavor, but it requires careful thought and meticulous planning to ensure a successful outcome. Here's a concise guide to help you get sta


bottom of page