top of page

Building owner

Planning work?

Some things  can only be done after notifying your neighbour.


You will need either - 

  •  their written agreement     or

  •  a Party Wall Award prepared by a Party Wall Surveyor

What is covered by the Party Wall Act?

  • cutting into a wall to take the bearing of a beam, for example for a loft conversion

  • inserting a damp proof course, even if only to your own side of a party wall

  • raising a party wall and, if necessary, cutting off any objects preventing this from happening

  • demolishing and rebuilding a party wall

  • underpinning a party wall or part of a party wall

  • weathering the junction of adjoining walls or buildings by cutting a flashing into an adjoining building

  • excavating foundations within three metres of a neighbour’s structure and lower than its foundations

  • excavating foundations within six metres of a neighbour’s structure and below a line drawn down at 45° from the bottom of its foundations.

  • building a new wall on the line of junction (boundary) between two properties.

If you intend to do any of these things, you must give written notice to your neighbours at least one month for ‘line of junction’ or excavation works or two months before starting any other party wall works.

If there is more than one owner of the neighbouring property, or more than one adjoining property, you must notify all of them.
If a tenant or leaseholder occupies the building next door you will need to tell the landlord as well as the occupier.

If you are doing structural work to a party wall, or works affecting a ceiling or floor, you will have to give written notice to any adjoining owners and occupiers living above or below your property.

If possible, talk to your neighbours about the work you want to do before you give them written notice. If you can sort out any potential problems in advance, they may well give you written agreement. 

We can help you serve any notices, prepare schedules of condition (the current condition of the neighbours' property that could be affected) and prepare awards where needed. ​

bottom of page